Have you ever read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"? It's a great kids book that I have always loved. Aleah had her first bad day today and it made me think of this book. She didn't seem to get the sleep she needed last night and was awake (a lot). She woke up pretty fussy this morning. After a nice big breakfast, I put her in the crib so I could clean up the nursery. Next thing I knew, she had spit up breakfast all over herself, her clothes, her hair, etc. I even found some in her ear! This is the first, she really is not a spitter-upper. So I stripped off her clothes, crib sheet and blanket to wash. I changed her clothes but the poor girl wouldn't stop crying. She wouldn't let me put her down for anything. So I held her and rocked her the rest of the morning.
Then came a diaper change. I don't know how she managed it but in the midst of changing her diaper, she peed everywhere. Also a first. I even found pee on her cheek and halfway up her nose. How did that happen? Stripped her again and the changing table cover to wash. She was in misery.
Normally she sleeps at least half the day but she just couldn't/wouldn't fall asleep. So of course she's exhausted, still crying and still will only be calmed by being rocked and held. The day continued as the morning went. I finally realized there was no sense in putting any clothes on her and let her hang out in a diaper and blanket the rest of the day. I had been trying to do laundry and get ready for the day between all of this. I realized nothing was going to happen and just left the piles of laundry everywhere so I could rock my daughter all day. Finally she falls asleep and slept for 2 and a half hours. She woke up crying her head off. Changed her diaper and she must have had like 4 explosions during her nap. It's amazing how much diapers can hold!
She doesn't have a fever so I don't think she's sick. I think she just had a bad day. I actually expected every day with a newborn to be like today. But I guess we got lucky and have a pretty calm baby. Hopefully she'll have a better day tomorrow! It makes me sad to see my baby so upset! She probably wishes she could head back to the womb sometimes!
Update: It was just a Monday thing. Aleah has done great yesterday and today!
7 comments:
Ohh Kristel, I'm sorry you had a bad day. Sometimes colic can start around the 4th week. Don't worry you are doing the right thing...everything else can wait, just enjoy your little girl. I know sometimes it seams like this will go on forever but it really does get better. Crying is her way of communicating. Problem is we aren't the best at translating. Such a big spirit in that tiny little body! Take care and sleep when she does.
What a great mom to just leave everything and hold your little one! I didn't even get the frustrated vibe from your post, you're just concerned. And how nice that you can be there for her!! Keep up the great work!
I'm so sorry. I hope today was better!
Welcome to Parenthood!
I love that book Kristel! I'm sorry about Aleah's and your day. Just plan on it being the 1st of many! And also plan on never getting anything done ever again. ha ha ha! They grow up too fast though so enjoy the baby time--even when it's hard.
It's a good thing she's a girl with pee incidents. Once newborn baby Conner peed in his own mouth. Boys are considerably more dangerous that way.
I'm glad most of your days are good! I expected newborns to be like that too (and my first was, second is calmer baby). You are such a good mom, instead of saying "look what I had to deal with today," you only thought about Aleah!
Post a Comment