October 29, 2007

Crisis = Danger + Opportunity

Chinese Symbol for Crisis
Today an unexpected event occurred. This event has two possible outcomes: Danger or Opportunity. I was laid off from Convergys after five years of loyal service effective immediately. Now obviously the danger is the possibility of losing our health insurance and a steady paycheck every other week. A significant cause of concern for my pregnant wife. The opportunity is that I no longer need to settle for mediocrity, but can now devote my time and talents full-time to that which has greater long-term potential (i.e., Aflac).

There is no cause for concern as Kristel and I will be okay and will survive. We both feel that this needed to happen to continue our progress in life. It is all part of a bigger plan that I don't quite fully understand myself, but am trusting in He who knows what's best. Convergys did offer me a severance package, which included over two-months of salary in addition to a fully vested pension. I also have a 401k plan that I could use if necessary.

Again this was very unexpected. I arrived to work and was immediately informed by a Team Leader that they had just let go two other Team Leaders and more were coming. I spent the next 45-minutes talking with other TL's to get the juicy details. I thought my job was secure and there was no need for worry since I wasn't a Team Leader anymore and didn't have "ratios" to worry about, but the moment my manager asked me to come with him to the conference room I knew what it was about and thought, "are you kidding me?"

There in the conference room was my manager, the other manager, their boss, and Human Resources. My first thought was where do I sign so I can get out of this corporate hell hole as quickly as possible, but I let them do their thing. I knew my manager was having a difficult time as he was the one who recruited me to my then current position and told me on several occasions that my position was secure. But for the others in the room it seemed like clock work for them and didn't bat an eye and was like - here's what's happening, any questions, cya! The one thing that probably bothered me the most was that after it was said and done they treated me like I had never even worked there. They wouldn't let me back into my office to get my personal things, but had my manager bring them out to me. I was then escorted out of the building.

I obviously immediately called Kristel to tell her the news. She thought I was joking. After I explained the details she responded with, "maybe this is what we need?" I then met my brother Steve at the Aflac office and the first thing he said to me was, "how busy do you want to be for the next couple of months?" To his surprise I exclaimed, "effective immediately I am a full-time Aflac Agent!" He thought I was joking. This is not a joke people. After explaining the details his next response was, "Fantastic! I've been waiting for this for over a year!"

"Today I begin a new life!" - Og Mandino, The Greatest Salesman in the World.

7 comments:

BLADERUNNER said...

Good luck Evie! I hope it all works out for you.

Ker said...

Ev it will work out dude! Faith!

Mikie said...

It will work out - The opportunity lies in front of you , not behind you. Good to get the severance. Just be like Homer and go quickly through the stages of change so you can seek those opportunities.
Challenges become opportunities. Hang in there.

Barb said...

It's a blessing in disguise... or not!

Barb said...

I meant, "or not" as in not a disguise... not a blessing!

Barb said...

Wait, this is coming out all wrong. It is a blessing, but it may not be in disguise. There. Does that make sense?

Suzer said...

Barb, you better just be quiet. (hee hee hee) Ev, I can't believe the news but I am reminded of when I was pregnant with Ashley and Brad worked at Convergys and wasn't getting any promotions. He quit to find better employment because of the stress of knowing he was going to be a father....look where he's at now and bringing home the big bucks (I wish it was bigger) but I can't complain because I can stay at home with the kids and he makes the money that I spend. It's great to be a homemaker. ha ha ha
I believe things will totally work out for you and Kristel and probably for the better because of FAITH. Hang in there.