Well, our diet changes have been surprisingly easier for me to adjust than I expected. Reading all the horrific things I did caused great motivation in me. Usually when I make a decision, I can be pretty determined. So here's the update:
I'm taking away all dairy from our diet and not replacing it with raw. The reason for this is because I want to see how we feel off of it completely. For those out there who are freaking out saying "what about your calcium?" know that the mantra of needing milk for our bones is a big, fat lie. Don't believe me, do your own research. I'm replacing dairy with calcium rich vegetables that are oh, so much for helpful for our bones than the garbage we get in dairy. In the future, I may introduce raw dairy into our diets but I'm still undecided.
Almond milk is fabulous. Replacement sour cream is growing on me. But mostly, I'm not going to try and substitute anymore, just going to do without.
The fam is not yet adjusted so I'm being more slow with making changes for them. Evan supports the changes but is really trying to get every last fat and sugar in before I do away with it. Haha. Right now our biggest change is that we have increased our fruit and veggie intake by a TON. We usually have at least 3 veggies at dinner. For breakfast I have been eating fruit and an organic granola cereal. Lunch is usually a sweet potato and fruit or a salad and fruit. For easter dinner tonight, we had a fruit salad, veggie salad, veggie tray, devilled eggs, wheat rolls and ham. It was totally sufficient and we didn't feel bloated and stuffed when we were done.
I've stopped buying white bread and now buy wheat. I still buy the stuff chocked full of preservatives though. Just because it's what is available and I"m not to the point of making my own bread! I'm making less meat dishes. Mainly because after reading about the fillers in our meats, eating meat makes me want to puke. I'm currently researching some local farms where we can buy fresh, normal meat the way it's supposed to come.
I'm experimenting with lentils and beans and different ways to cook veggies. The fam is so not loving the lentils. I'm LOVING Bountiful Baskets. It's forcing us to try different vegetables and different ways to prepare things so we use up the produce.
And my sugar cravings have decreased. Tonight I had some easter candy (and by some I mean one of those tiny little chocolates that fit in a plastic egg) and immediately I didn't feel good. It made me happy, not because I got sick but because it reassured me that I'm making the right choice in making these changes.
6 comments:
That reminds me, Farr Vanilla Bean ice cream with hot fudge sauce is calling my name.
Where are you getting your research?
Barb, everywhere! I'm reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. A lot of research I talk about comes from there. If you do a google search on "effects of dairy on our bodies" you will find a plethora of information. Also 60 minutes did a special a couple of sundays ago on sugar as a toxin so you can read the transcript on their site. And research "pink slime" to find out about the meats.
Definitely food for thought. You know someone had to say it ;)
I think the word of wisdom totally has it right where it says to eat everything moderately... to me that's the key, anything is bad for you in too big quantities, and on the other hand something not totally healthy can be alright in moderate quantities.
i have been trying to cut out dairy as well...kind of hard to do but i think it is so worth it as well. we are raising our own chickens now and are planning a huge garden for this summer. its amazing once you start reaserching what they allow into the food that we buy...seriously gross stuff! its good your starting it while the kids are younger, because when they are older they dont like it so much!
Post a Comment