April 29, 2012
New Ideas for my Project
So, I've been gathering ideas and activities that strengthen synaptic connections in the prefrontal cortex, right? I got some new ideas from a fantastic social worker! I can't think of her name right now (yeah, I need to work on my memory) but she taught me all about adolescent brain development and gave me even more reasons why we shouldn't let our pre-teens and teens (or any age child for that matter) play violent video games! But you know what we should let them play? Monopoly! And Memory and mazes and word searches and Hi Ho Cherry O and all sorts of other board games. Any game in which a child has to learn rules, turn taking and strategy in a social context is a superb prefrontal cortex activity. And this one's easy to do! My kids love, love, love games. They ask every day to play games. We've become too lenient at letting them play games on our phones though. So we'll take that back a notch and up the actual, real, hands on game playing. Currently some of their favorites are toy story yahtzee, connect 4, go fish, candy land and trouble. Well, we don't actually play them the "right way" cuz you know my kids are only two and three years old. Aleah turns 4 tomorrow though!! Soon I'll post on her very first "friend" party that we had a couple days ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So what happens to their brains with video games? We play a game with Charles every Sunday at least...
Post a Comment