March 03, 2008

Is it too late to change my mind?

Childbirth class#2--aauuugggghhhhhhh! Tonight's session focused on medical interventions for birth (e.g. Inducing, Pitocin, Episiotomy, Forceps, etc) and the actual birth. We watched 4 births. The first was induced with an epidural. It was gross. I leaned over to Evan and whispered I would rather have a C-section. The next was a C-section. As I watched them beat the crap out of the woman's abdomen, I decided I didn't want that option either. The third was a normal birth after a C-section (she had an epidural) and the doc had to use forceps. Nope, don't want to do that. The 4th was a woman's 4th delivery and it lasted for just a couple of hours with no medication. She made it look like birth was the easiest, cleanest process in the world. This was my week to freak. I'm not so sure I can do this. I think sometimes that ignorance really is bliss. Too bad I can't change back the clock. Evan handled it all pretty well. But after class when I asked him what he thought he said: "I've said it before and I'll say it again-- I'm glad I'm not a woman!"

11 comments:

Evan said...

Dang right!

Kristel said...

P.S. Guess what my dreams were about last night? Yep! Childbirth!

Barb said...

LOL. I don't think I'm going to take childbirth classes...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the birthing classes are the best because you see all of these nasty, large, pasty white naked bodies. you're so grossed out by the whole thing that your experience seems like a breeze. prepare for the worst, and it is not that bad!

The Asiedu Family said...

I'm so glad I missed that session when I was taking my birthing classes!

Mikie said...

They are skewing you to the 'natural' methods aren't they?

Kristel said...

You know Mike, it sure seems like it, doesn't it? I think for the "natural" birth, it should not have been a woman's 4th child but someone's 1st delivery to be more realistic as labor gets easier with each child.

jennaloha said...

Labor gets easier with each child? I must have missed that memo.

Suzer said...

Kristel, you'll totally be okay! Don't stress and the moment is unforgettable when you see your baby girl for the first time. I could do that moment over and over and over again with each one.

Kevin K-1 said...

I'm trying to imagin my baby sister being a mommy, what a special moment....Life will never be the same..

Erica said...

All I can say is....an epidural is a beautiful thing! You can do it Kristel!