
I didn't grow up in Utah. But I love Utah. There is an exception. Utah Drivers. They are so aggravating, I can barely put my thoughts into words. Once again, I got nearly sideswiped on the way home from work tonight. Once again, I wondered if I'm going to make it home alive. So yes, this is a venting post. Utah drivers (with some exceptions) SUCK. Sorry, my vocab is limited, I don't know of a better word to describe the people I'm talking about.
1) Understandably, Utah is a "gathering place" which means that people bring driving norms from all over the world to Utah. The problem is that these people assume that Utah can handle all the driving styles from California to Mexico to China.
2) Getting a Utah Driver's License is easier than buying a head of lettuce at the grocery store. Hmmm, what type of lettuce do I want today-- you get at least 4 options. Then there is the license test--open book, no need to read, learn or understand Utah laws.
3) Then there is congestion. So to help, Utah puts in roundabouts. They are wonderful, time saving, blessed interventions. But does Utah teach people how to use them? No!!! Do people try and learn how to use them?? NO!!! They just go through as if it's a green light! They are yields people!
4) And what about when there is heavy traffic and cars trying to get on the freeway? Or cars leaving the BYU parking lots on game days? There is really a quite simple principle that if applied will save time and road rage for all. But do people use it? Nope. The principle-- merge like a zip. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, move a zipper slowly up or down, you'll see the magic.
5) Another rule that's hastily neglected-- looking in the lane next to you before changing lanes. You would think that no explanation is needed. But nope, guess that one isn't common sense.
6) And what's up with those crazy Van driving mothers (who have Choose the Right and little stick figures of their family on their back window) who tailgate you? Do they realize that if you had to slam on your breaks, that they would go through your car endangering their little ones in the back seat?
7) Weather conditions. Again, another of my assumptions, is that when road and weather conditions are bad, drivers should be extra cautious. I know, I know, I should never make assumptions. Maybe it's funner to slip and slide all over the roads endangering yourself and everyone around you.
8) Last but not least-- common courtesy. Why does this basic human decency law have impact everywhere but on the road?
Okay, I've vented. And I made it home alive tonight. So it's time to stop complaining. Until the next near miss accident (which will probably be tomorrow). p.s. The pic above was the result of a man running across the 215 to get a Love Sac he failed to secure properly to his vehicle. The result of him playing Frogger resulted in multiple car accidents.
5 comments:
My poor wife.
I was so surprised at the drivers when I moved to Colorado. They were nice!! That was one of the first things I noticed here...
You are so right Kristel!!! I especially agree with you on the Round a bouts!!! Sometimes when I get the feeling that I shouldn't go out somedays, I feel that's because I will get in a car accident, so I listen to that little voice and stay home if I'm feeling that I shouldn't go for some reason. It's crazy out there. I do enjoy visiting Idaho just for your reasons.
Hey Evan-buns . . .
I found YOU! I saw you went to visit Ty-lard's blog. I'm going to drop in from time to time and see how you guys are doing. CONGRATS on your baby coming! That's so cool. Come by and visit sometime too.
Your 'second mother' in the good old days!
This is why they are called U-tards. Which ethier comes from 'retards' or 'bastards' or my fav 'retarded bastards'.
Post a Comment