August 19, 2007

Timpooneke

Kristel All SnugAfter two years of coaxing Evan, he gave in and we went camping together this weekend! A friend told us about Timpooneke Campground on the Alpine Loop so we decided to check it out and it was fantastic! We arrived around 1 and it was a good thing we set up camp right away because shortly after a downpour began. We took for the trees and watched the rain clean the earth. It was actually very peaceful. It did make me a bit cold though.

Playin' ScrabbleAfter it dried up, the games began and I kicked trash at Scrabble and Quarto. But Evan got me back by winning every single round of Search, Ponder, and Play that night.

Of course Evan had to play around with his "out in the wilderness man tools." He took up whittling with his six-inch stainless steel knife he got in Branson, Missouri and made a "spear." Evan Making A SpearSaid Evan: "I can now protect you from the bears!" He also took out the ax to "chop some dead wood for the fire." My protector AND my provider! (sigh)

We made tin foil dinners in the fire that night and they were superb. We spent the rest of the night by the fire chatting, reading and playing games. When the fire went out that night and all the lights were out, looking up into the sky was like looking into the galaxy from the Disneyland ride "Space Mountain" except it was the real thing and 100 times better.

Gettin' FirewooodI'm not sure if I have ever seen such a beautiful star lit sky. We got up the next morning and made breakfast on our camp stove (well Evan made it, I read names to him from the baby name book). We cleaned up camp and took a drive through the rest of the Alpine Loop. It was such a peaceful weekend. Utah mountains are so gorgeous. And Evan even thanked me for making him come and said we would be going every weekend for the rest of the summer. I've reawakened the camper in him!

2 comments:

Barb said...

I love that you two went camping! I want to do fun stuff when I'm married...

Suzer said...

Awesome. I'm glad you didn't get attacked by any bears. Ev was probably bummed not to use his spear though.