So I know I've been talking lots about food. Maybe eventually I'll stop talking about it. But not yet :) And I promise I'll post some recipes soon that allow you to hide veggies. Today, my kids shocked me. This morning for breakfast we had whole wheat banana pancakes and fresh fruit. They wouldn't touch the fruit. Meal time has never been unpleasant for us, I've never had to force my kids to eat. That is, until I changed our diets. Now, things have gotten a little more complicated. Some meals are great, others are awful. But I'm learning what works. For example, if I give the kids a good sized afternoon snack, they will not touch dinner. If I give them an otter pop or juice for their afternoon snack, they gobble up their dinners. Also I will use "prize" food as a reward for them eating. One of their favorite prize foods is olives. They make me sing a song as they put them on their fingers and pop them in their mouths. I'll do just about anything to get them to eat well :)
Anyways! I've never forced them to eat green salad. I've never even asked them too. I just pick out the veggies they like from it and put it on their plates. Today we had vegetable pasta for lunch (rotini with corn, peas and carrots plus some olive oil and some italian seasoning). Like usual, I get out my green salad to eat after my pasta. The kids devoured their pasta, including vegetables. I was ultra proud of them. But then! I took off the salad lid to get myself some salad and they started digging in. No joke. They pulled out carrots, cucumbers and celery and they are eating them by the handfuls. But even more shocking is that my four year old started pulling out lettuce leaves to eat. Seriously?? I wanted to do a dance but I didn't make a big deal out of it at all. It made me so happy I gave them leftover easter candy after lunch. Haha. I know, defeats the purpose a bit. But I have no problem with sugary rewards if 90% of what they eat is good. Maybe we've turned a corner???
No comments:
Post a Comment