March 25, 2009

Baby Stepping to Financial Peace

A few months ago I learned about Dave Ramsey and his book "The Total Money Makeover" through a friends blog (thanks Berta!). I was intrigued about the changes they were making in their life and the life of their son Tyler so I decided to buy the book and see what the whole fuss was about. I was fascinated immediately with the common sense principles of becoming debt free.

In his book, Dave Ramsey describes seven baby steps that have proven successful if done in order with focused intensity will get you out of debt in just a few years. The steps are as follows:

1. Save $1,000 fast (baby emergency fund)
2. The Debt Snowball
3. Fully fund emergency fund (3-6 months worth of expenses)
4. Invest 15% of income
5. Save for college
6. Pay off mortgage
7. Build wealth like crazy and give

One of Dave's favorite phrases throughout this book is, "Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else." There's been a few bumps in the road to financial peace since starting, but am happy to say that we are back on track with our own total money makeover. We have officially completed baby step #1 and will be attacking our debt with the debt snowball starting in April. I am very excited about this plan and am actually looking forward to paying my bills!!! LOCO.

P.S. If you want to buy a like-new elliptical exerciser machine or a mini office fridge/freezer let me know...I'm currently selling all of my stuff. :)

7 comments:

let's grow old together said...

Cool! hey do you want some cement blocks for gardening? i have some..if someone you know want some i have like 12 for free!!!

Kristel said...

One wonders what Anyi is doing with cement blocks in her tiny apartment?

I didn't realize you caught the vision from Berta. Thank you Berta!

Ker said...

Hey Tell kyle Ill take some of his blocks for shelves in my garage.

The Asiedu Family said...

Just have to say I love the new family pic!!

Anonymous said...

I went through Dave's Financial Peace University, and it was so beneficial! I'm a huge Dave fan!

let's grow old together said...

We where gonna build a third bedroom to rent out! Desperate times! lol

Kevin K-1 said...

I'd buy your elliptical exerciser faster than u can say " kyle is queer".
problem is , i live in the old continent.

Next time, my fellow breeder