February 05, 2009

Groundhog Day...My Favorite Movie

On February 2nd, three days ago, was Groundhog Day. A holiday often overlooked by many people deeming insignificant. The holiday comes from I guess an old wive's tale predicting the outcome of future weather patterns. If the groundhog comes out of the ground and sees his shadow there's going to be six more weeks of Winter...if he doesn't, an early Spring. Groundhog Day has become one of my favorite holidays.

Why? you may ask. A couple of reasons. The movie "Groundhog Day" starring Bill Murray is my all-time favorite movie. In addition, the movie was filmed in Woodstock, Illinois where I served for three months on my mission. I was able to see many of the sites in the movie...even reinacted a few scenes with our video camera. Another reason why I like this movie and holiday so much is that it signifies a turning point in life. Let me explain.

If you have ever seen the movie, Bill Murray is a weatherman who is very egotistical and self-centered. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. Part of his job as a weatherman requires him to go to this small little town in Puxetawney, PA to cover the Groundhog Festival. He absolutely hates this assignment and hates everything about Groundhog Day, this small town, and the people. As you know, he finds himself repeating the day over and over again, which he only remembers. At first he's freaked out and doesn't know what to do. After getting somewhat used to the idea, but in the gall of bitterness and depression realizes he can do whatever he wants without consequences. This holds him over for quite sometime living out his fantasies, but after a while he realizes what he really wants...true love with a woman that happens to be his producer.

Upon rejection after rejection from her and no matter how many times he repeats the day and tries all different ways to "get her" he finally falls back into a dark hole where each day he kills himself over and over again. This goes on until one day he convinces this producer, the girl of his dreams, that this is happening to him and she suggests to him that "maybe it's not a curse afterall. Just depends on how you look at it!" That was his turning point.

From that moment on he stopped caring les and less about himself and more and more about the people around him. Not only that he starts bettering himself by learning, studying, and developing his talents. He is progressing to a point where he eventually becomes the perfect man for the girl of his dreams. I just like how he starts out as this self-centered guy and we see him transform into someone better. I can relate to this as I'm sure many of us can. Life is all about progressing and serving others. If we don't...life can become a literal Hell and we may not even realize it. HAPPY LATE GROUNDHOG DAY!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Boy I sure would love to see that home movie! Do you still have it? Perhaps you should post a clip or two, Im always up for a good laugh!

Barb said...

I love this movie. I watched it this year, again and even though I've seen this movie many times, I still caught some things I've missed all along! "Am I right or am I right right right right."

Sarah said...

I've only seen this movie once (years ago) and I fell asleep and when I woke up it was playing the same thing so I thought, "Is this the whole movie?" and I've never watched it again. BUT, my husband insists that I need to watch again. He thinks it's hilarious and I'm sure it is so maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend. Crazy story about Aleah!!!! Kristel, I haven't figured out how to put two backgrounds on the same page yet but I'm working on it! Have you checked out the website for more downloads though? It's super fun and a lot of them are free!