We arrived, nervous and excited, and amazingly didn't have to wait for 45 minutes in the lobby like we usually do. Just took a few minutes after check in for the tech to come get us. She was very unfriendly, no smile, no introduction, no personality. It slightly diffused our excitement but not enough to damper the amazing experience of watching our baby on screen. The gel she used had been in her car overnight (remember, it's winter and cold at night) and whoa, was that stuff cold! She turned off the lights and started pointing things out on screen in a very low voice. I told her multiple times that I had a hearing loss and needed her to speak louder to no avail. Because she typed a few body parts on screen I was able to follow her a little bit. To be honest, the picture has been clearer when my doc has given me one!
To be perfectly honest, I felt disappointed. It just wasn't the experience I had built up in my mind. But we as human beings do that a lot. We fantasize about how something is going to be and build up our expectations so high that almost always the real event can in no way compete with our picture of how it should be.
When I got home, I popped in the DVD and again watched my little girl's heart beating and listened as it beat. And I watched as slowly her face, body, hands and feet all came on screen and just looked perfectly formed and functioning. This was my moment. The moment that I had lost sleep over the night before--having my mind and heart confirm that this child is mine and knowing that everything was as it should be surpassed my expectations. This was the moment that filled my heart with joy and I knew I would never be the same.
4 comments:
Wow, I am so sorry you did not have the best experience on your ultrasound.... But like you said it is the moment when you see your precious baby girl move and know that you created that baby, I stil feel that way 6 years later with Kamree & 2.5 year later with Strahlee, Having your own kids is the most amazing thing you will ever experience. And having GIRLS is a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my two little girls so much.... Good luck!!!
If I go into Ultrasound, I promise to be a better tech than that girl.
you should send that tech the link to this blog.
I agree with Jenna. AND I love my little girls too. Little girls are a blast and funner to dress. I love little boys too, but there is something about little girls. BEWARE-they get their daddy's twisted around their little fingers.
Post a Comment