September 18, 2007

Rome

Rome is about five hours south of Milan by the fastest train, which we were going to take, but Kristel's brother Kevin decided to drive, which still took about five hours to get there. All I can say that being a passenger in a car in Italy scares me. It is very much different from America. What would seem like a normal two lane highway is actually four lanes and everybody is cutting everyone off and motorcycles zigzagging in and out of everyone. Crazy! It was nice to drive to Rome however to see the Italian country side...beautiful!

When we arrived in Rome we immediately checked into our bed & breakfast and then walked to Vatican City, which was less than a mile away. The Vatican is huge! Again, pictures don't do it justice. We walked through the museum and saw amazing artwork and sculptures, which words cannot describe. You'll need to watch the picture slide show and the end of this posting. The most amazing part of the Vatican was the Sistine Chapel and the famous artwork of Michaelangelo. We weren't supposed to take pictures, but I didn't travel half way across the world, sit in a car for five hours, and wait in line not to take a picture! Sheesh!

After the Vatican, we ate at an outdoor restaurant and had my first taste of Italian pizza. It is very much different than what I'm used to. It was flat and not a lot of ingredients, but it was still fantastic. I think the atmosphere made up for it. Stomachs full, we made our way to St. Peter's Church.

This Church (Duomo, Cathedral) and the surrounding area is huge! This is where the Pope talks to the people every Sunday. It seriously is unbelieveable how the people back in the day were able to build such things. Most Duomos took over a lifetime, somtimes two lifetimes to complete construction! Again, the pictures don't do it justice from actually being there. Once the tour of St. Peter's Church was over, we made our way the a castle.

Yes, a castle. I walked inside and around a freakin' castle and felt like I was in the movies. In fact, the whole time I've been in Italy I've felt like I've been in the movies...seriously. The castle was awesome, and I wish I knew they had a restaurant on the top of it before eating after the Vatican. We got some very cool pictures. Once the castle tour ended, it was getting late and Kristel was getting hungry. We walked around and found a trolley cart full of food and paid an arm and leg for some basic food items to sustain Kristel from starvation. As we walked back toward the castle, a silent movie was about to be broadcasted just outside of the castle accompanied by a live pianist. We stayed and watched and then took a taxi back to our bed and breakfast! A long day, but a good one. Next... Day Three: Rome & Tuscany.


3 comments:

Mikie said...

Nice castle...

Barb said...

That's awesome!!!

Suzer said...

Seeing your pictures makes me want to go!