September 14, 2007

Downtown Milano

DuomoItaly exists! I guess I really did not believe it until I saw it. It is definitely a change from America. We spent the day in downtown Milan and visited the famous Duomo (cathedral - see picture). It was built in the 13th century and is huge! It is An arch just left of the Duomo amazing that a people could build such a thing back then. The aliens must have helped them or something...just like they helped build the pyramids for landing pads for their ships, but enough about the reality of Stargate. Around the Duomo is a famous shopping area with stores like Gucci and little restaurants/cafès all over the place. I had my first taste of Italian ice cream (fan-freakin-tastic) and some excellent Italian bread - I forget the name.

Outside the castleWe also made our way to a castle about a half a mile away from the Duomo. It was neat to see and empty mote all the way around the perimeter now decorated with stray cats and a young couple getting it on...no I am not kidding. We sat in the shade of some trees surrounding the castle before we made our way back towards the Duomo and walked about another half mile in the opposite direction to the church of bones.


Church of the bonesIt is a nick name that it has been given because in a prayer room of the church the walls have remains of human beings. Hundreds of skulls and thousands of bones are arranged in a few designs and crosses. It was crazy! It reminded me of a program I watched on the History channel of underground tunnels in Paris where the tunnels are filled with millions and millions of bones arranged in all kinds of designs. I guess people even have jobs where they go down and rearrange the bones because they settle after time or something. The picture of the cross to the left is made real human skulls! I remember seeing pictures of this from Kristel when she was here before, but the pictures do not do it justice for seeing it up close and personal.


Grinding BallsOh and we can't forget about the grinding the heel of your foot into a bulls' balls for good luck (see second to last photo). Yah, so there's this picture\design of a bull on the ground near the Duomo where legend has it if someone grinds their foot, or twirls, the person will receive goodl luck. So of course Kristel, Kevin & Ely made me do it. I do have to say that it was a bit awkward grinding my foot into this bulls private parts in a busy public area. It has been ground so much that there about a two inch deep circular hole now. Definitely an experience.


This last photo is of Kristel in the dowtown shopping area. We did visit one store and bought something (to be a surprise for someone down the road). The rest of the stores were probably WAY too expensive, and I'm still trying to figure out eh Euro. After we took the subway back home, we were treated to Ely's homeade lasagna. I don't think I've ever had lasagna that was so good (sorry mom). We then took a walk to the down the street and treated ourselves once more to some real Italian ice cream. I have a feeling I'm going to be eating a lot of that while I'm here. Tomorrow we are traveling to Rome and then Tuscany. Look for Day 2-4 on Tuesday or Wedensday. It's great to be here and wish you could all see it for yourself!

5 comments:

Mikie said...

Wahoo! That is way exciting! Glad to see that you made it and are having a great time. Isn't the 'David' statue close by?

Mikie said...

Maybe it was the last supper painting..You should defintely check that out.

Kristel said...

David is in Florence. Last supper is in Milan but we weren't able to get tickets. If we have time next week, we'll try the standby line. Evan didn't tell you anything about the plane ride! Alitalia is not the best airline, we have discovered. The crew did not show up so our flight was delayed 12 hours. We got to hang out in the Boston International Terminal all night. Good thing for travel scrabble :)

Barb said...

AHHH!!!! That is so freakin' cool. I'm glad Evan finally got out of the country! I'm excited to hear about the rest of your updates.

Ker said...

way fun guys! Your house is still in tact. And I cant wait to hear the rest!