May 16, 2012

Food Updates

I'm well aware that people think we are crazy, but our changing diet has been so wonderful for our family.  We still have quite a ways to go but changing our mind set has been so empowering!  And believe it or not, real food tastes better!!

The biggest challenge is finding things the kids will eat.  Joshua, especially.  He's in a phase where anything we put in front of him is "gross."  Unless it's bread.  He can eat that by the loaves.  Amazingly the kids don't miss white bread at all!

Still haven't bought any dairy and I don't miss it.  However, I want to do more research on it because I think some types of dairy are probably better than others. 

My tips and tricks thus far:
--I read more labels.  If I know what all the ingredients are, I feel better about buying it.
--I go to Target more often than Walmart (despite it being further away).  Target has a terrific selection of organic products.  The kids love Target's whole wheat organic pasta.
--Bountiful Baskets is a huge blessing, both financially and nutritiously
--The kids will drink real fruit smoothies (with spinach leaves blended in) when they won't eat the actual fruit
--It's actually quite easy to hide beets and squash in the kids meals without them knowing
--I can usually get them to eat the "good" stuff when offering a reward of a little of the "not so good" stuff

I'm most definitely getting bored of green salad.  I just found this website I'm excited to try:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

And a friend sent me the link to this site which is proving to be super helpful:
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

And a new budget friendly favorite is:
http://realfoodrealdeals.com/

4 comments:

Barb said...

I'm gonna check out those sites. Thanks for the update.

K-Krew said...

Thanks for posting the sites. Your family photos are adorable. And I don't think I've printed out photos for an album since James was born...in Jan 2009.

Holley said...

I'm a huge fan of the 100 days of real food web site. I've been hooked on it for quite awhile and we are getting closer and closer to making the actual leap. We weren't eating too bad before--I've always been against giving my kids processed food even when I'll eat the bad stuff without any qualms. But we do need to improve many things and we are trying. I'm excited to read about what you're doing because this is something that I feel so passionately about myself. It does feel overwhelming at times. We used to get Bountiful Baskets all the time and I quit when Sariah was born (4 1/2 months ago). So I'd like to get back to that. I'm interested to know what food you are hiding beets and squash in. Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Aaron and Emily said...

Whenever I look for a recipe online, I type in "vegan" to go with it, and I get a very healthy recipe. I am amazed how many delish dishes we have eaten this way (I had no idea I was marrying a guy on his way to becoming a most-of-the-time vegan). You can really make creamy soups without any dairy. Sometimes I use soy milk, sometimes just a bean base. Congrats on getting your kids into it, I still have that challenge.