October 03, 2010

Trend Setter

Though I can't prove it, but I've always considered myself a trend setter. For example, many moons ago while I was living in Idaho and wanting to prove my manhood by trying to grow some kind of facial hair I grew a "chintee." That's what I called it. Others may know it by a goatee only grown on the lower half of the mouth. Anyway, I never saw anyone else sporting a chintee and traveled to Utah many times showing the world. Not too long afterward, it seemed like everyone was sporting Evan's chintee.

That being said, in the year 2000 and just fresh of serving a mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I bought an Internet domain name - http://www.evandscoresby.com/ - and created a Website all about yours truly.  I kept up the Website for five years.  I was going through some old computer files and found this entire Website saved on one of my hard drives.  Going through it was like reading my journal and brought back many fond...and not so fond...memories.  If you had the privilege of accessing this Website you may remember the most popular content known as "The Evan Times."  It was my news source of events happening in my life.  I entered the information in third person in journalist style. 

I remember the guff I would get from family and friends about my Website and why I would want to put all that information out there on the World Wide Web for all to see.  I also received many requests from people to not include them in any publications that revealed personal information.  Today, most people don't even think twice about it.  Almost everyone I know has a BLOG or Facebook page revealing information than I ever would have.  I'm not saying that I inspired Blogger or Facebook - portals for people to create their own Websites about themselves and their family - but I just think it's funny how people thought I was weird for doing what almost everyone is doing today.

So as you discover new trends may your mind always pose the question, "did Evan think of this first?"  The answer most likely yes.  Now I just need to put those ideas into making money, and I'll be set!

3 comments:

Kristel said...

Thank you for no longer sporting the chintee!

jennaloha said...

Cocky.

Suzer said...

Ev, you should have created Blogger for sure.